This continued until the ten revolutionary and disorderly years of the Knight Likarios (himself a Frank who changed sies, and who wore the Byzantine Double - Headed Eagle when fighting the Franks). It is clear that this revolutionary Knight brought new colonial blood, from the Archipelago, from the island of Skopelos and Limnos, to Elymnion.
The Forces increased in number to two (as toponymically they remain today), and the Church of the Virgin, the Gothic Cathedral of Upper Elymnion in the ancient grove of oaks was embellished. It appears also that the Elymnios of Kastri armed their navy against the Frankish forces.
In 1453 Constantinople fell to the Turks. And in 1470 Chalkis the Venice of the East also came under Turkis rule.
The whole of Euboea was subjugated and the fortified Upper Elymnion was destroyed. The inhabitants were slaughtered and the few lucky ones lived in caves at Mesopetri. Four years later about forty families came to Elymnion (the Venetians called it Limene, Limine, Liminit, Limen, Limne) whose origin is unknown, and who are onomastically unrelated to the Limiots of today.
But the sands of time slip through the hourglass of history.
In 1560 -1587, and perhaps in 1644-1751-1771, new refugees from the Aegean apparently arrived at the Fort of Elymnion. (The lower fort had been deserted since Byzantine times). Under oppressive and difficult conditions, these islanders mostly from Samos, according to the Historian Bellaros brought new seafaring and restless blood to Elymnion. The new conditions, the legend ary arrival of a Virgin from the Sea (the Virgin of Limni, as she as been named and who was to become the religious focus of the area), the existence in Lower Elymnion of the Episcopal Seat of Kanalia, the rebuilding of Galataki Monastery, the activities of a post-Byzantine saint. David and the lack of dangerous piracy, and so on, are the reasons why the Elymniotis of the Upper Fort left their "Chora" and descended to the "Port".
The occupied themselves, naturally, with ships, the ships that are lovingly etched on the walls of the church of St. Nicholas and which, given a chance, do not hesitate to do battle. In 1790, for example, embroiled in the events of Andros, fifty families emigrated to Skiathos, in fear of Turkish reprisals.
There they formed their own colony Limnia, as it is called to this day. Later, in 1806, the blood of Elymniot sailers was shed in support of the legendary "Knight" of the sea "Nikotsaras", at the dawn of the Great Struggle.
1821: At the start of the War of Independence, Limni was the first town in Euboea to proclaim the Revolution.
With a strong fleet and the undivided support of its wealthy inhabitants, it took upon itself the whole Euboean struggle, assisting the admirals and leaders - Kriezi, Kosmas, Androutsos, Moutsanas, Nikalaou and Kriezoti. In the vanguard was the Elymnian Commander in Chief of Euboea, Angelis Gobios, who won fame at Gravia and overthrew Omer Vrioni at Vrissakia.
The dawn of Freedom saw the destruction of Elymnion by the angry Turks. But is was soon rebuild by the returning Elymniots, who had fled to the islands, and they created a fine merchant navy, one of the foremost in Euboea and one of the most important in Greece.